Release Notes For R14.1.1
The Trinity Desktop Environment is a complete software desktop environment designed for Unix-like operating systems, intended for computer users preferring a traditional desktop model, and is free/libre software.
R14.1.1 is the first maintenance release of the R14.1.x series.
This section lists some of the most important changes introduced by this release.
Several items in this list refer to a multitude of commits, so direct link to them has not been provided to avoid cluttering the overall page.
Please refer to the detailed commit change log for further information.
- kommando: a "Neverwinter Nights"-like wheelmenu for TDE (TDE/kommando)
New functionalities and enhancements
- twin: added support for aerosnap-style window tiling, improved Active Border functionality and add Active Corners (TDE/tdebase#331, TDE/tdebase#365, TDE/tdebase#371, TDE/tdebase#375)
- konqueror: added option to enable/disable using double click to navitage to the parent folder (TDE/tdebase#329, TDE/tdebase#341)
- konqueror: extended 'double click to move to parent' functionality to iconview modes (TDE/tdebase#386)
- kxkb: re-added TDE shortcuts to switch keyboard layout forward or backward (TDE/tdebase#342, TDE/tdebase#352)
- kkbswitch: added global shortcuts for switching to previous/next group (TDE/kkbswitch#6, TDE/kkbswitch#7)
- twin: added 'shade' to the left mouse button click menu for active windows in TCC module (TDE/tdebase#337)
- Offer all available options to set an image as background from Dolphin's action menu (TDE/dolphin#17, TDE/dolphin#18)
- added a few new wallpapers (TDE/tdeartwork#24)
- added man pages for several TDE applications (TDE/ksquirrel#3, TDE/kmyfirewall#3)
- improved support for SunOS/Illumos/DilOS (TDE/tde#131)
- tdebluez: added API documentation (TDE/tdebluez#23)
- added link to TDE release notes to khelpcenter home page (TDE/tdebase#332, TDE/tdebase#353)
- kmix: improved Preferences dialog (TDE/tdemultimedia#35)
- tdebase: updated currency for European countries that have switched to euro (TDE/tde#137, TDE/tdebase#385)
- tdepowersave: made brightness percentage control more accurate (TDE/tdepowersave#17)
- kmilo: improve brightness OSD feedback by displaying the actual value (TDE/tdeutils#55)
- amarok: avoid double logarithmic volume scaling when using libxine >= 1.2.13 (TDE/tdemultimedia#40, TDE/amarok#46)
- add logarithmic volume control to kaffeine (TDE/kaffeine#22) and codeine (TDE/codeine#9)
- replace three dot ellipsis with equally spaced ellipsis (TDE/tdebase#394)
- fixed high CPU/slow speed issue observed in some RPM distros with R14.1.0 (TDE/tde#128, TDE/tqt3#75, TDE/tdelibs#206)
- tdepowersave: fixed high CPU/slow speed issue observed in some hardware when autodimm was enabled (TDE/tde#136, TDE/tdepowersave#14)
- arts: fixed crash on TDE startup (TDE/arts#5, TDE/arts#11, bug 3042)
- tqt3: fixed support for recursive mutexes (TDE/tqt3#68, TDE/tqt3#72, bug 2462, bug 2526)
- chalk: fixed SEGV when loading a PNG previously created from the same application (TDE/koffice#20, TDE/koffice#34)
- tdebase: fixed kcheckpass support for shadow passwords without PAM (TDE/tdebase#354)
- tdelibs: fixed intentation when displaying API documentation code (TDE/tdelibs#207)
- tdetoys: fixed pixelated icons bug in KWeather (TDE/tdetoys#19, TDE/tdetoys#22)
- fixed image conversion naming of files with multiple dots in the name (TDE/tdebase#376) in konqueror (TDE/tdeaddons#18, TDE/tdeaddons#20) and dolphin (TDE/dolphin#19, TDE/dolphin#21)
- fixed value returned by 'brightnessGet' DCOP call (TDE/tdepowersave#15, TDE/tdeutils#53)
- added support for libexiv2 0.28.0 (TDE/libkexiv2#3, TDE/libkexiv2#4, TDE/gwenview#7, TDE/gwenview#8)
- aligned string hashing function to upstream `gettext` code to ensure translation strings are correctly found (TDE/tdelibs#228)
- k3b: fixed detection and linking of taglib (TDE/k3b#30)
- codeine: fixed volume slider functionality (TDE/codeine#8)
- This is the last version to support Debian Stretch and Ubuntu Xenial. From R14.1.2, package builds for those versions won't be avaiable.
- Added support for Debian Bookworm and Ubuntu Mantic
- Removed support for Ubuntu Impish
- Dropped old Qt1/Qt2 stuff which does not affect public API (TDE/tde#130)
- Dropped Qt4 specific stuff which does not affect public API (TDE/tdevelop#21)
- Dropped autotools support for various modules (TDE/libltdl#3, TDE/keximdb#3, TDE/desktop-effects)
- Dropped support for building in Symbian OS (TDE/amarok#45, TDE/tdepim#85, TDE/tdelibs#222)
Info for developers/packagers
- Added support for creating tarballs from head on a git tag (TDE/scripts#6)
- Partial work on merging tqtinterface into tqt3. Changes do not affect any API (TDE/tde#135)
- tde-admin-common: added support for auto MOC-ing of classes using TQ_OBJECT (TDE/tde-common)
TODO: update distro lists
Installation instructions and binary packages are (or will be soon) available for:
- Debian (Stretch, Buster, Bullseye, Bookworm)
- Ubuntu (Xenial, Bionic, Focal, Jammy, Kinetic, Lunar, Mantic)
- Devuan (Ascii, Beowulf, Chimaera, Daedalus)
- Raspbian (Buster, Bullseye, Bookworm)
- RedHat/CentOs (RHEL 7/8/9)
- Fedora (37, 38)
- OpenSUSE (Leap, Tumbleweed)
- Mageia (8, 9)
Live CDs with TDE R14.1.1 preinstalled are or will be available soon on the LiveCDs page.
Previous release notes
Release notes for previous versions of TDE are avaiable at these links.
- Previous release (R14.1.0)
- Older R14.0.x release notes.
TDE continues to offer support for FreeBSD.
Progress has been made on how to simplify keeping ports up to date and complying to the standard /usr/ports structure. "TDE port maps" data for each invidivual port have been added to the tde-packaging repository and a new "tde-ports-map" script is used to synchronize its content with the standard /usr/ports location. Additionally, a new "tde-meta" port has been added to simplify building and installation of ports using the new framework: this meta port does not contain any code but depends on all ports of the TDE umbrella.
Credits and acknowledgements
We thanks all the people that are (or have been) involved in making TDE the great desktop environment that it is.
We would like to thank IntegriCloud for kindly providing a powerful physical server based on a secure POWER9 architecture that serves as the TDE primary host and as a very powerful builder for ppc64el packages.
We would like to thank all the mirrors for kindly providing free hosting for the TDE packages and archive.
We would like to thank all the people who have used the TDE Weblate Translation Workspace to improve translations for many languages. We are looking forward for further contributions in future.
- Tony Ivanov (6)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- 梁维康 (3)
- diaowinner (58)
- Wantao Liu (784)
- Slávek Banko (159)
- Heimen Stoffels (49)
- Thomas Cordonnier (87)
- Carlos Arjona (27)
- Michele Calgaro (423)
- Obata Akio (33)
- Jan Stolarek (2)
- Marek W (1137)
- Hugo Carvalho (8)
- Andrei Stepanov (1545)
- Danila Shatrov (58)
- Egor Ermakov (52)
- Mehmet Dokuz (1)
- Roman Savochenko (460)
Contribute to TDE development
The TDE development team is small but friendly. If you wish to participate in the TDE development process, please visit the Get involved page for additional information.
There are many things you can contribute to, from documentation review to bug fixes as well as brand new software features or applications.
Feedback from our users is also an integral part of a large scale, user-experience oriented project such as TDE. Whether you want to report a bug, suggest an improvement or simply let us know your opinion about TDE, please feel free to contact us. Three good places to start communication are the official TGW site (user guide here), the project's mailing lists and the bug tracker.
Donate to the TDE Project
Creating TDE requires significant computing resources and bandwidth. Please consider helping to keep us online with a donation on our donations page. Without your financial assistance, TDE would not be possible!