Release Notes For R14.0.5
The Trinity Desktop Environment is a complete software desktop environment designed for Unix-like operating systems, intended for computer users preferring a traditional desktop model, and is free/libre software.
R14.0.5 is the fifth maintenance release of the R14.0 series, and is built on and improves the previous R14.0.4 version.
Maintenance releases are intended to promptly bring bug fixes to users, while preserving overall stability through the avoidance of both major new features and major codebase re-factoring.
Previous R14.0 Release Notes
Release notes for previous versions of TDE are avaiable here.
R14.0.5 Release Notes
This section highlights some of the most important fixes introduced by this maintenance release.
- Bug fixes
- Fixed OGG file playing (TDE login sounds now works again :-) )
- Fixed sound server and arts crashes
- Fixed device detection from Media Manager in kscd
- Fixed several kdesktop_lock related bugs
- Fixed status of Trash bin on desktop
- Fixed notification of removable media
- Fixed info page protocol support (regression in previous release)
- Fixed regression with open/save dialogs on ftp or removable disks
- Fixed support for NetworkManager with randomized MAC addresses
- Fixed detection whether the system is big endian
- Fixed memory leaks
- Improved timer handling in TDEPowersaver
- New sessions can now correctly be started as "pre-lock", useful where autologin is enabled
- Added support for GnuPG 2.1
- Improved KGPG server configuration
- Enhanced Ark and Ark plugin interface and support for .rar files
- Improved calculations in mini-cli
- Improved icon display in system tray
- Improved support for Jabber protocol in Kopete
- Dropped support for discontinued AIM protocol in Kopete
- Enhanced mime type code
- Added support for G-code in Kate syntax highlighting
- Added support for OpenSSL 1.1
- Improved support for TLS v1.2
- Improved support for Clang
- Added support for GCC7 and GCC8
- Added support for Java8 and newer
- Added support for ICU 58 and newer
- Added detection for ruby 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5
- Fix security issue CVE-2016-10040
- Fix security issue CVE-2017-6410
The complete list of bugs fixed in this release is available here.
A detailed commit change log is also available here.
TDE continues to offer support for FreeBSD, although still partial given some of the new issues that have arisen with the latest versions of FreeBSD. The TDE team will try their best to improve support for FreeBSD but progress will probably be slow. Additional developers or contributors willing to help porting the remaining features and applications are always welcome.
Installation instructions and binary packages are immediately available for Debian and Ubuntu. Packages for RedHat/CentOs, Fedora, Mageia, OpenSUSE, and PCLinuxOS are being built by their respective maintainers and will be made available at a later date.
Live CDs with TDE R14.0.5 preinstalled are available on the LiveCDs page.
Credits and acknowledgements
We thanks all the people that are (or have been) involved in making TDE the great desktop environment that it is.
We would also like to officially thanks vpsFree.org for kindly providing free hosting for some of the services used to make Trinity Desktop a better software, most notably the main redirector, which makes distribution of new versions significantly faster, Slavek's preliminary builds and our new Gitea self-hosted collaboration tool.
Contribute to TDE development
The TDE development team is small but friendly. If you wish to participate in the TDE development process, please visit the Get involved page for additional information.
There many things you can contribute to, from documentation review to bug fixes as well as brand new software features or applications.
Feedback from our users is also an integral part of a large, user-experience oriented project such as TDE. Whether you want to report a bug, suggest an improvement or simply let us know your opinion about TDE, please feel free to contact us. Two good places to start communication are the project's mailing lists and bug tracker.
Donate to the TDE Project
Creating TDE requires significant computing resources and bandwidth. Please consider helping to keep us online with a donation on our donations page. Without your financial assistance, TDE would not be possible!
Press Contact Information
Project Founder/Administrator: Timothy Pearson, firstname.lastname@example.org