Release Notes For R14.0.13
The Trinity Desktop Environment is a complete software desktop environment designed for Unix-like operating systems, intended for computer users preferring a traditional desktop model, and is free/libre software.
R14.0.13 is the thirteenth maintenance release of the R14.0 series and it builts on and improves the previous maintenance versions.
Maintenance releases are intended to promptly bring bug fixes and new features to users, while preserving overall stability through the avoidance of both major API or feature changes and major codebase re-factoring.
This section highlights some of the most important fixes introduced by this maintenance release.
- tdeio-appinfo - a TDEIO slave (appinfo:/) that combines an application's configuration, data, manual and temp files and folders into a single view (TDE/tdeio-appinfo)
- twin-style-machbunt - a KDE window decoration theme from SuSE 9.1/9.2 (TDE/twin-style-machbunt)
- Ctrl + mouse wheel can now be used to increase/decrease the font size in the following applications:
- Konsole (TDE/tdebase#297)
- Kate, KWrite, TDevelop and other applications using the Kate part editor (TDE/tdelibs#180)
- Kate: added syntax highlighting for Markdown files (TDE/tdelibs#170, TDE/tdelibs#174)
- Improved user experience when setting a wallpaper (TDE/tdebase#280, TDE/tdebase#285)
- Offer all available options to set an image as background from Konqueror's action menu (TDE/tdebase#281, TDE/tdebase#285)
- Taskbar: Move Task and drag-n-drop are now available also for grouped task buttons (TDE/tdebase#295, TDE/tde#98)
- Improvements to khotkeys Input Actions
- New move up/move down buttons (commit 5e4ca4df)
- Fixes to GUI for creating/editing actions (commit 0c22a148)
- New waiting action component to introduce a delay between steps (TDE/tdebase#267)
- New SFTP tdeioslave based on libssh (KDE backport) (TDE/tdebase#279)
- Added support for ffmpeg 5.0 (TDE/akode#9, TDE/akode#10, TDE/k3b#14, TDE/k3b#16, TDE/k9copy#5, TDE/k9copy#6)
- Added support for Jasper 3.x (TDE/tdelibs#162, TDE/digikam#5)
- Added support for Poppler >= 22.04 (TDE/tdegraphics#45)
- Improvements to Python3 Support (TDE/sip4-tqt#7, TDE/sip4-tqt#8, TDE/python-tqt#7)
- Added man pages for several TDE applications (TDE/abakus#6, TDE/amarok#34, TDE/arts#8, TDE/k3b#18, TDE/k9copy#7, TDE/kile#3, TDE/koffice#28, TDE/krecipes#1, TDE/ktorrent#4, TDE/libksquirrel#3, TDE/rosegarden#4, TDE/tellico#4, TDE/tdeaddons#13, TDE/tdeartwork#21, TDE/tdebase#275, TDE/tdebindings#11, TDE/tdegraphics#47, TDE/tdemultimedia#36, TDE/tdenetwork#45, TDE/tdesdk#13, TDE/tdeutils#41)
- Improved API visualization (TDE/tdelibs#167, TDE/tdelibs#169)
- Use gender-neutral language (TDE/tdebase#286, TDE/tdepim#69, TDE/tdemultimedia#37, TDE/tdegames#16)
- Fixed opening of media:/ and system:/media/ URLs from non-TDE applications (TDE/tdelibs#157, TDE/tdebase#224)
- Fixed compatibility with OpenSSL 3.0 API (TDE/tdelibs#175, TDE/tdelibs#177)
- Fixed display of TQMap/TQValueList in dcopclient (TDE/tdelibs#168)
- tdebindings: fixed FTBFS when tdehw is not present (TDE/tdebindings#10)
- tqt3: fixed rendering of listviews with SGI widget style (TDE/tqt3#64)
- Fixed various FTBFS when building with clang
- Fixed font styles detection in TDE font dialogs (TDE/tdelibs#164, TDE/koffice#24)
- tdeio-man: fixed visualization of man pages for TDE applications (TDE/tdebase#274)
- basket: fixed SEGV crash when moving new empty notes (TDE/basket#12)
- kgtk-qt3: added support for gtk2 with glibc 2.34 (TDE/kgtk-qt3#4)
- FISH protocol: security fix for CVE-2020-12755 (backport from KDE) (TDE/tdebase#282)
- KMail: fixed vulnerability to EFAIL (backport from KDE) (TDE/tdepim#22, TDE/tdepim#70)
- Gentoo: several improvements and addition to supported ebuilds
- Ubuntu: dropped Groovy (20.10), added Kinetic (22.10)
- Fedora: added support for v36 and 37
- Arch: added builds for arm64 and armhf
- OpenSuSE: added support for 15.4
Additional info for developers/packagers
- Module version is now automatically added to tarball and detected by cmake at build time (TDE/scripts#4, TDE/tde-common-cmake#84)
- CMake Trinity's macros can now be used with pure TQt applications which require parsing of .ui files (TDE/tde-common-cmake#85)
- Modules converted to cmake:
- gtk3-tqt-engine (TDE/gtk3-tqt-engine#2)
- tderadio (TDE/tderadio#4)
- koffice-i18n (TDE/koffice-i18n#1)
- Dropped autotools support for the following modules:
- rosegarden (TDE/rosegarden#5)
- tdeio-locate (TDE/tdeio-locate#2)
- k3b (TDE/k3b#19)
- tdepowersave (TDE/tdepowersave#10)
- tastymenu (TDE/tastymenu#3)
- gtk-qt-engine (TDE/gtk-qt-engine#9)
Installation instructions and binary packages are immediately available for Debian, Devuan, Raspbian, and Ubuntu. Packages are also available for Arch. Packages for RedHat/CentOs, Fedora, Mageia, OpenSUSE, and PCLinuxOS are being built by their respective maintainers and may be already available or will be soon.
Live CDs with TDE R14.0.13 preinstalled are or will be available soon on the LiveCDs page.
Previous R14.0 Release Notes
Release notes for previous versions of TDE are avaiable at these links.
- Previous release (R14.0.12)
- Older R14.0.x release notes.
TDE continues to offer support for FreeBSD, although still partial given some of the new issues that have arisen with the latest versions of FreeBSD. The TDE team will try their best to improve support for FreeBSD but progress will probably be slow. Additional developers or contributors willing to help porting the remaining features and applications are always welcome.
Credits and acknowledgements
We thanks all the people that are (or have been) involved in making TDE the great desktop environment that it is.
We would like to thank IntegriCloud for kindly providing a powerful physical server based on a secure POWER9 architecture that serves as the TDE primary host and as a very powerful builder for ppc64el packages.
We would like to thank vpsFree for kindly providing free hosting for some of the TDE services, most notably our self-hosted TDE Gitea Workspace and TDE Weblate Translation Workspace.
We would like to thank all the mirrors for kindly providing free hosting for the TDE packages and archive.
We would like to thank all the people who have used the TDE Weblate Translation Workspace to improve translations for many languages. We are looking forward for further contributions in future.
- Chinese (Simplified)
- WhiredPlanck (13)
- Xiao Wenming (15)
- Slávek Banko (1725)
- Heimen Stoffels (466)
- Lian Begett (245)
- Mavridis Philippe (179)
- Laszlo Häcker (2)
- Michele Calgaro (1046)
- Marek W (369)
- Hugo Carvalho (43)
- Tiago Carmo (29)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Sebastião Guerra (3)
- Egor Ermakov (219)
- Mavridis Philippe (109)
- Martín C (23)
- Real name (105)
- Artem Baseniuk (52)
- Roman Savochenko (815)
Contribute to TDE development
The TDE development team is small but friendly. If you wish to participate in the TDE development process, please visit the Get involved page for additional information.
There are many things you can contribute to, from documentation review to bug fixes as well as brand new software features or applications.
Feedback from our users is also an integral part of a large scale, user-experience oriented project such as TDE. Whether you want to report a bug, suggest an improvement or simply let us know your opinion about TDE, please feel free to contact us. Three good places to start communication are the official TGW site (user guide here), the project's mailing lists and the bug tracker.
Donate to the TDE Project
Creating TDE requires significant computing resources and bandwidth. Please consider helping to keep us online with a donation on our donations page. Without your financial assistance, TDE would not be possible!